Do you like interesting creative challenges and cutting edge technology? Want to be a part of building what has never been built before? At Dynamic Structures, our motto is “Anything you can dream, we can build” and we are regularly put to the test.
We work with the leading names in the theme park industry to design and build world-class multi-media rides and have also been involved with more than half of the telescope observatory enclosures on Earth. We work with our clients from concept development through to installation and not only will you contribute to every step of the process; you’ll be able to see your designs come to life at our Port Coquitlam fabrication facility.
The innovative nature of our projects provide ample opportunities for professional growth. We are always looking for creative technical minds and passionate souls to join us in creating our engineering feats. If you are looking for interesting work with a collaborative team and exciting products, then this is the place for you!
Overview of the position
The Dynamic Structures team is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to oversee the design and development of all mechanical systems on one of our ride projects, including but not limited to conceptual, preliminary and detailed design and testing of structural-mechanical, mechanical-electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems and components. The designs are to meet safety functionality and manufacturability requirements. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will play a pivotal role in ensuring a highly reliable product while delivering on unique technical features on time and on budget. You will be a key resource to mentor other members of the team, problem solve and help the company to consistently deliver ground-breaking products.
- Act as Lead Project Engineer by reviewing and approving work breakdown structure, work authorization structure and design requirements with respect to applicable codes, regulations, standards, best practice and contractual requirements.
- Oversee design of mechanical & mechanical-electrical components, motors and controls, and integrated systems.
- Provide orientation, training, mentoring and evaluation of mechanical engineering staff.
- Support design verification, production and assembly, integration and test, including field visits as required.
- Review/Approve mechanical engineering drawings, analysis, Bills of Materials & Process Specifications (Material Spec.’s, Work Instructions, Test Procedures, etc.), ECOs, ICNs to meet the standards established by the company and required by customers for products.
- Provide technical guidance and assistance in support of activities involved in the sourcing, procurement, fabrication, installation, commissioning and operation of "standard" equipment through design reviews and drawing signoff.
- Recommend, identify and source components to be used in designs, including consideration of Quality Assurance requirements.
- Lead research and development of new and existing systems or products.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum of 15 years of high reliability engineering or equivalent direct experience in the design and development of complex mechanical systems with demonstrated aptitude.
- 5+ years of experience in the amusement ride/theme park industry
- Master degree in mechanical degree or equivalent.
- Registered professional engineer or eligible.
- Experience in project engineering, specifically system engineering, work breakdown structure and application of standard engineering practices to ensure conformance with functional specifications and project requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to lead small to medium multi-disciplined project teams.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Inventor and AutoCAD design software through advanced training or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of current industry standards, manufacturing methods and material science related to the entertainment industry.