About Dynamic Structures:
Do you like interesting creative challenges and cutting edge technology? Want to be a part of building what has never been built before? At Dynamic Structures, our motto is “Anything you can dream, we can build” and we are regularly put to the test.
We work with the leading names in the theme park industry to design and build world-class multi-media rides and have also been involved with more than half of the telescope observatory enclosures on Earth. We work with our clients from concept development through to installation and not only will you contribute to every step of the process; you’ll be able to see your designs come to life at our Port Coquitlam fabrication facility.
The innovative nature of our projects provide ample opportunities for professional growth. We are always looking for creative technical minds and passionate souls to join us in creating our engineering feats. If you are looking for interesting work with a collaborative team and exciting products, then this is the place for you!
Overview of the Position:
The Dynamic Structures team is looking for a Lead Electrical-Controls Engineer. Reporting to the VP Engineering, this role is responsible for overseeing the design and development of all electrical and control systems, including but not limited to conceptual, preliminary and critical design and testing of electrical systems, electronics, control and software. The designs are to meet safety, functionality, manufacturability and cost requirements.
The Lead Electrical-Controls Engineer will play a pivotal role in ensuring a highly reliable product while delivering on unique technical features on-time and on-budget. Not only will you act as the Electrical-Controls technical lead on various projects, you will supervise a section of junior engineers and be a key resource to mentor other members of the team.
- Support the Project Technical Lead by reviewing and approving work breakdown structure, work authorization structure and design requirements with respect to applicable codes, regulations, standards, best practice and contractual requirements;
- Supervise and mentor a section of junior engineers in a matrix organization setting. This requires maintaining a good understanding of each junior engineer’s competencies, project(s) work load, and career goals;
- Perform performance reviews, probation reviews, and provide overall technical and career guidance to assigned section of junior engineers,
- Oversee design of electrical & electronic components, control, software and integrated systems;
- Liaise and support the Drawing Office with the production of shop drawings;
- Support design verification, production and assembly, integration and test, including field visits as required;
- Review and approve electrical engineering drawings, analysis, bills of materials & process specifications (material spec’s, work instructions, test procedures, etc.) for new and existing products;
- Ensure compliance with internal processes related to ECOs, NCRs, and ICNs;
- Participate in and ensure compliance with applicable third-party review processes and requirements (e.g., TUV Design Review, etc.)
- Provide technical guidance and assistance in support of activities involved in the sourcing, procurement, fabrication, installation, commissioning and operation of "standard" equipment through design reviews and drawing signoff;
- Oversee building, testing and evaluation of prototypes and limited production items;
- Review content of technical documents (e.g., product manuals and training manuals);
- Prepare design proposals including preliminary design, bidding, and estimating;
- Lead research and development of new and existing systems or products;
- Lead preparation of proposals including concept development and man-hour estimation for scheduling and bidding purposes;
- Coordinate and supervise electrical, controls and software engineering contractors;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Skills & Requirements:
- Minimum 10 years of electrical-controls engineering or equivalent with direct experience in the design and development of electrical or control systems;
- Minimum 2 years or more in a supervisory role;
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering;
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng) or eligible for registration;
- Familiarity with the following software preferred:
- AutoDesk Vault
- Microsoft Systems (for Controls Systems Flowcharts)
- Motion and drive-related controls systems
- Well-versed in electrical standards (e.g., ASTM F24, IEEE, NEC, EN13814, etc.) and safety standards (e.g., EN/ISO 13849, EN/IEC 62061, etc.);
- Experience and understanding of third-party review processes (e.g., TUV Design Review, etc.);
- Experience and understanding of communication systems and dynamic modeling and control;
- Demonstrated experience in design, qualification testing and commissioning of high reliability systems in accordance with internal and external quality standards,
- Experience in project engineering, specifically system engineering:
- Work breakdown structure
- Theory of Operation
- Hazard Analysis, Fault Tree, etc.
- Requirements and Risk Management
- FMEA and FMECA
- Knowledge of configuration baselines, QA codes and process specifications;
- Understanding of the project management function and required interaction between inter-disciplinary teams (Purchasing, Production, Quality, etc.);
- Demonstrated ability to lead small to medium multi-disciplined project teams;
- Demonstrated ability to execute under pressure and tight timeline;
- Fluency in English, spoken and written